Journals and Books
Journal for the Eleventh and Twelfth Annual Conferences
Volume 9 (2010/2011)
Eleventh Annual Conference
Sing with All the Saints in Glory: The Theology of the Christian’s Death in Rite and Song
- “The Funeral Rites in Lutheran Service Book” by Paul Grime
- “The Patristic Rhetoric of Death: Preaching the Death that Conquers Death” by James G. Bushur
- “A Baptismal Ethic at Life’s End, Dying We Live: The Perspective of a Parish Nurse and Deaconess Student” by Pamela L. Boehle-Silva
- “Passover from Life to Death to Life: Pastors and Deaconesses Preparing the Saints to Bear Jerusalem Home” by Arthur A. Just Jr. and Pamela L. Boehle-Silva.
- “’My Friend When I Am Dying’: The Hymnal as a Guide to Ars Moriendi “ by Christopher Esget
Twelfth Annual Conference
What God Has Joined Together: The Theology and Practice of Christian Marriage in Rite and Song.
- “The Marriage Rites in Lutheran Service Book by Paul Grime
- “Beholding with Unveiled Faces”: Marriage and the Revelation of True Personhood b James G. Bushur
- “Crossing the Mystical Boundary: Marriage as Rite of Passage Signifying Union Between Christ and His Church” by Arthur A. Just Jr.
- “For Better, For Worse: Pastoral Preparing Post-Modernists” by David C. Fleming
- “Incarnation and Icon: Jesus’ Way of Being Married” by Scott a Bruzek
Celebrating the Life and Hymns of Paul Gerhardt & Martin Franzmann
Journal for the Eighth Annual Conference
November 4–6, 2007
- All Saints' Choral Vespers Sermon—November 4, 2007 by Dean O. Wenthe
- "Paul Gerhardt in Context: Lutheran Hymnody, the Second Reformation, and the Thirty Years' War" by Christopher Boyd Brown
- "The Theology of the Cross in Gerhardt's Hymns" by Richard C. Resch
- "The Image of God, Sacraments, and Other Themes in Gerhardt's Hymns at the Onset of Pietism" by Lawrence R. Rast Jr.
- "Gerhardt's Hymns as Day-to-Day Pastoral Care" by Philip G. Meyer
- "Gerhardt's Hymns as Day-to-Day Pastoral Care" by Peter K. Lange
- "'Glorious Now, We Press Toward Glory': The Primary Theology of Paul Gerhardt and Martin Franzmann" by Arthur A. Just Jr.
- "Of Four Rivers: A Biographical Sketch of Martin Franzmann" by Richard N. Brinkley
- "Memories of the Franzmann Family and the Origins of the Franzmann Hymn 'Thy Strong Word'" by Constance Buszin Seddon
- "The Hymns of Martin Franzmann: A Perspective" by Richard N. Brinkly
The History and Practice of Lutheran Service Book
Journal for the Seventh Annual Conference
November 5–7, 2006
- "'Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed...Something Burgundy!': Brief Reflections on the Formation of Lutheran Service Book within Its Historical Context" by Jon D. Vieker
- "The Practice of Lutheran Service Book" by Paul J. Grime
- "Translation Issues and Lutheran Service Book" by Gene Edward Veith
- "The Lectionary Committee of Lutheran Service Book" by Arthur A. Just Jr.
- "Lutheran Service Book Liturgy Committee" by Timothy C. J. Quill
- "Liturgical Revision in Lutheran Service Book: Its Contributions and Implications" by Naomichi Masaki
- "To Sing of Christ: The Work of the Hymnody Committee of Lutheran Service Book" by Stephen P. Starke
- "Lutheran Service Book: Agenda and Lutheran Service Book: Pastoral Care Companion" by John Pless
- "Hymn Festival Commentary" by Daniel Zager
Luther on Liturgy and Hymns
Journal for the Sixth Annual Conference
November 6–8, 2005
- All Saints' Choral Vespers Sermon—November 6, 2005 by Dean O. Wenthe
- "Luther's Liturgical Reforms: Luther the Medieval Liturgist" by Frank C. Senn
- "Luther's Theology of Worship: Christ the Gracious Gift-Giver"
by Arthur A. Just Jr.
- "Luther's Hymns, Part I: The Catechism, German Mass, and Leisen Hymns" by Robin A. Leaver
- "Luther's Hymns, Part II: The Psalms, Canticles, and Newly Composed Hymns" by Richard C. Resch
- "The Other Reformers and Christian Worship: Not Quite Lutheran" by Cameron A. MacKenzie
- "Luther and Bach: Theologians in Word and Music" by Daniel Zager
- "Luther on Music Revisited: Reassessing Luther's Thought on Music for Today" by Carl F. Schalk
- "Hymn Festival Commentary" by Chad L. Bird
Singing and Preaching the Close of the Year:
"Zion Hears the Watchmen Singing"
Journal for the Fifth Annual Conference
November 7–9, 2004
- All Saints' Choral Vespers Sermon—November 7, 2004 by Dean O. Wenthe
- "The End-Times Lessons: 'The Bridegroom Comes, Awake!'" by Arthur A. Just Jr.
- "Preaching and the End Times: Proclaiming the Genesis of Revelation" by Chad L. Bird
- "The End Times in Luther: The 'Dear Last Day'" by Kent J. Burreson
- "The End Times in Art: Apocalypse in Catholic, Reformed, and Lutheran Artists" by Gene Edward Veith
- "The End Times in Bach: 'Watch! Pray!'" by Daniel Zager
- "The End Times in Pastoral Practice: 'In the Midst of Earthly Life'" by Timothy C. J. Quill
- "The End Times in Hymns: 'Saints and Angels Sing Before You'" by Richard C. Resch
- "The Organ Also Sings: Some Brief Thoughts to Introduce an Organ Reading Session" by Kevin J. Hildebrand
Hymns in the Life of the Church
Journal for the Fourth Annual Conference
November 2–4, 2003
- All Saints' Choral Vespers Sermon—November 2, 2003 by Dean O. Wenthe
- "Hymns in the Life of the Church: Defining Our Singing Together" by Richard C. Resch
- "Discerning Strengths and Weaknesses of Hymns" by Stephen P. Starke
- "The Lutheran Roots of Our Hymnody" by Joseph Herl
- "Historic Departures: Pietism, Rationalism, and Revivalism" by Lawrence R. Rast Jr.
- "The Roots of American Lutheran Hymnody" by Carl F. Schalk
- "Hymns for Lutherans Today: New Hymns from the Lutheran Hymnal Project" by Jon D. Vieker
- "An Interview with Jaroslav J. Vajda" by Jon D. Vieker
- "An Interview with Herman G. Stuempfle" Jr. by Jon D. Vieker
- "An Interview with Stephen P. Starke" by Jon D. Vieker
- "Hymn Choices and the Lectionary—Series C" by Arthur A. Just Jr.
Day by Day We Magnify Thee: Psalms in the Life of the Church
Journal for the Third Annual Conference
November 3–5, 2002
- All Saints' Choral Vespers Sermon—November 3, 2002 by Dean O. Wenthe
- "Scripture's Song in the Worship of Israel and the Church: Singing Psalms in the Presence of God" by Arthur A. Just Jr.
- "Christ in the Psalms: Singing to the Father through the Son" by Dean O. Wenthe
- "Speech of the Heart; Speech of God: Augustine's Use of Psalm 4 in Confessions 9.4" by William C. Weinrich
- "Psalms Are Meant to Be Sung" by Daniel Zager
- "Pastor, Psalms, and Day by Day Life: Visitation, Sickbed, and Deathbed" by Harold L. Senkbeil
- "Praying the Psalms at Home: A Prayer Book for the Laity Coming in 2006" by D. Richard Stuckwisch
Christ's Gifts in Liturgy:
The Theology and Music of the Divine Service
Journal for the Second Annual Conference
November 4–6, 2001
- All Saints' Choral Vespers Sermon—November 4, 2001 by Dean O. Wenthe
- "The Theology and Structure of the Divine Service" by Paul J. Grime
- "The Ordinaries of the Divine Service: An Interpretation of Liturgical Texts" by Arthur A. Just Jr.
- "The Music of the Divine Service: Propers and Proclamation" by Richard C. Resch
- "Preaching in the Divine Service" by William M. Cwirla
- "Taking the Divine Service into the Week: Liturgy and Vocation" by John T. Pless
- "Children in Worship: A Place to Grow" by Barbara J. Resch
- "Bach and the Divine Service: The B-Minor Mass" by Paul W. Hofreiter
- "Preparing for the Divine Service: Building a Parish Team" by Mark E. Sell
- "The Pastor and the Church Musician: Building a Parish Team" by Kevin J. Hildebrand
Christ's Gifts for Healing the Soul:
Toward a Lutheran Identity in the New Millennium
Journal for the First Annual Conference
November 5–7, 2000
- All Saints' Choral Vespers Sermon—November 5, 2000 by Dean O. Wenthe
- "The Medicine of Immortality: Healing for a New Creation" by Arthur A. Just Jr.
- "Healing in the Canticles of the Old and New Testaments" by Ronald R. Feuerhahn
- "Healing through the Liturgy: The Rites of Pastoral Care" by John T. Pless
- "The Art of Spiritual Evaluation: A Framework for Understanding the Health of the Soul and Its Cure" by Harold L. Senkbeil
- "Healing the Soul through Hymnody" by Stephen P. Starke
- "The Gift of the Church's Song: Sacred Music as Healing and Comfort" by Richard C. Resch
- "Healing in the Music of Johann Sebastian Bach" by Robin A. Leaver
Music for the Church:
The Life and Work of Walter E. Buszin
- The Life and Work of Walter Buszin
- Buszin's Incentives and His Message
- Buszin's Addresses and Articles
- Committees, Commissions, Conferences, and a Society
- Buszin's Editing
- Bibliography of Works by Walter E. Buszin
- Works about Walter E. Buszin
Essays by Walter E. Buszin
- "The Genius of Lutheran Corporate Worship"
- "Organ Music for the Liturgical Service"
- "Leiturgia — An Opus Magnum in the Making"
- "Cultural Values of Church Music and Liturgical Worship"
- "The Role of People in the Lutheran Liturgy"
- "Hymn Tunes in the Service of the Gospel"
- "Theology and Church Music as Bearers and Interpreters of the Verbum Dei"
- "The Dynamic Power of Christian Hymnody"
- "The Hymn in the Mass"
- "The Unity of the Church and Her Worship"